Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 13:34:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD spokesman.

--- Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in> wrote:
> Josef Grosch said on Jul  3, 2001 at 13:40:59:
> >
> > I VERY strongly disagree! Just because Greg fails some random
> ideological
> > test of yours is no reason to discount him. Greg Lehey has great
> things for
> > FreeBSD over the past 7 or 8 years. To be perfectly frank, he has
> done a
> > hell of a lot more for FreeBSD than you, Brett.
>
> Judging by his writings, on mailing lists and on daemonnews, I think
> Greg is one of the best choices as a BSD spokesman.
>
> Quite by chance, the other day when searching for something unrelated
> (font antialiasing under GTK) I found another fine example of BSD
> advocacy, which solidly and convincingly boosts BSD without finding
> the need to put down the GPL or Linux in the process:
>    http://lwn.net/2001/0614/letters.php3 (letter from Matt Dillon)

Agreed: he does talk about collaboration, but he also points out that
if GPLd Kerberos would never make it. A quote:

  .............................................The same reasoning
    applies, which is why you see a company like Microsoft 'steal'
    Kerberos but then use it almost verbatim, despite having tens of
    billions of dollars of cash lying around that could easily fund a
    complete replacement (hmmm... of course, finding sufficient talent
    might not be so easy even with billions of dollars, eh?).  Kerberos
    forced MS to go 95% of the way to an open-source solution, which is
    better then the 0% we would have gotten if Kerberos had been GPL'd.

    And now that MS has done it, they have to support it.  Look at
    TCP/IP - Microsoft is being forced to essentially throw away a
    decades worth of proprietary networking protocols and use an open
    standard, and the GPL has nothing to do with the reason why.  LDAP,
    DBMS, etc etc etc... they all have similar effects and as much as
MS
    tries to proprietize them, the simple truth is that they fail much
    more often then they succeed.

On the spokesman issue: Ted would do it fine, he has an abitlity to put
words together and his arguments are quite insightful. He will also
introduce the "fuck" word to the masses, something even Clinton was
afraid to do... mr Starr was trying, but...