Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 21:30:37 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [thorpej@nas.nasa.gov: The death of vfs_conf.c]

Should we be doing something similar to this?

----- Forwarded message from Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> -----
To: tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG
Subject: The death of vfs_conf.c
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 23:10:20 -0800

Hi folks...

So, today I sat down and finally finished some work I started over a year
ago to nuke vfs_conf.c.  Basically, the round of changes to config(8)
that added the "file-system" keyword were geared towards making the list
of statically-included file systems generated by config(8), with no need
for icky #ifdef's.

The changes attached below basically do:

	(1) Remove vfssw[] and vfs_opv_descs[].  vfssw[] has been replaced
	    with vfs_list, and a generated table vfs_list_initial[] which
	    vfsinit() uses to build vfs_list a boot time.

	(2) In support of (1), struct vfsops now has a LIST_ENTRY and
	    a pointer to a NULL-terminated array of struct vnodeopv_desc *'s.

	(3) vfs_init.c has been modified to make the 2nd part of (2) possible,
	    and also to build the initial vfs_list.

	(4) vfs_establish() and vfs_disestablish() - new functions for adding
	    and removing file systems from the kernel's vfs_list.  Used by
	    LKM code and vfsinit().

	(5) All places that referenced vfssw[] have been cleaned up to
	    use the most appropriate interface for that situation.

	(6) LKMs have been cleaned up, and fixed.  (Previously, file systems
	    which supported FIFOs or special files had broken LKMs.)

	(7) [ Not shown ]  Delete vfs_conf.c

If there are no objections, I'll commit these as soon as I've had a chance to
test all of the LKMs (probably Tuesday evening, PST).

----- End forwarded message -----

Full set of patches deleted; these are 50k.  Available on request.

Eivind.