Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 1997 20:31:17 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@mailhost.coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        andrew@ugh.net.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compiling kernel with optimisation

#define quoting(David Greenman)
// >I just noticed that when compiling a kernel it is done with the -O flag.
// >Would there be much speed improvement in the sytem if it was done with
// >-O3? Would this break the kernel or is the added time it takes to compile
// >not worth the benfits?
//
//    It has very little effect on performance and optimizations levels > "-O"
// have traditionally been broken in gcc.

Well, the NetBSD team has managed to compile their kernel with -O6
and -Wall, but they had to change lots of things..

I don't know what do you call "little effect on performance", but
5% gain would be enough to make me think about.  Unfortunately,
I don't have any measurements (and even don't know how to do them).

I tried -O6 once, and 2 files were broken in compile time !!! (Wow)
I did dare once more, fixing those files and running that kernel.
Panic in 5 seconds.  :(

I'm now trying -m486, and found no problem 'til now.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698 ( Job )			jonny@cisi.coppe.ufrj.br