Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 18:35:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@netwalk.com>
To:        Nathan Ahlstrom <nrahlstr@winternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Presenting FreeBSD to a Linux Users Group?

If you poke around the various advocacy sites there is a "Howto" of
sorts addressing just this problem.

Essentially though, you want to:
  1.  Show them the similiarities between FreeBSD and Linux.  The idea
is to make them confident that they could make the switch easily and
comfortably.

  2.  Show them that FreeBSD runs almost all Linux binaries.  This is
important, they don't want to feel left out in the cold.

  3.  Show them some of the cooler parts of FreeBSD.  I am
particularly and continually impressed with the ports/pkg collection.
There just isn't an easier way to do it.  CVSup is also wonderful.
You can show them how easy it is to upgrade your system, merge in the
latest changes, etc...

  4.  Finally, start the advocacy, go light on the lunacy though.  :)
My opinion is heavy on facts, light on opinion.

I don't know if you have any personal experience with Linux.  I ran it
for 2 years before I discovered FreeBSD, I can confidentaly say that
I'm more than happy with my decision and that I'll _never_ go back.

Overall, the idea isn't to preach, but rather to just talk or hold an
intelligent conversation with the group.  There will likely be a lot
questions, be prepared to answer them.

Good luck....

Jim