Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 13:16:42 -0800
From:      Gary D Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Rob <listone@deathbeforedecaf.net>
Subject:   Re: Are these IPF -> IPFW protocols equivalent?

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 10:35:42PM +1030, Rob wrote:

> I've only used ipfw for a little while, but there's a few things I can
> suggest here.
>
> * A good diagnostic for your rules is
>
> 	ipfw list
>
>   Run this after adding a list of rules, and it shows you how they were
>   translated by ipfw. It also shows the default rule (number 65535)
>   which will be allow any or deny any, depending on your kernel options.
>
> * You don't need to supply a number after 'add' - the ipfw command will
>   number them for you. I'm not sure what happens if you give different
>   rules the same number, but it probably isn't useful.
>
> * Since you're allowing all out #1 and all in #4, you can combine these
>   rules as
>
> 	add allow tcp from any to any via dc0 keep-state
>
>   with the same effect.
>
> * Likewise with #2 and #5, they can be combined as
>
> 	add allow icmp from any to any via dc0 keep-state
>
> * Likewise with #7 and #8.

		This is very helpful, thanks.  I didn't know
		if the in/out rules had to be specified,
		even if it were redundant... .  As a first-cut,
		i'm testing everything on one of my internal
		servers...  So far, looks promising.  --Famous
		last words:?)

> * The keep-state option allows you set up two-way traffic based on a
>   one-way rule. I think it's mainly designed for UDP (where there's no
>   established connection to allow) but it should work for ICMP as well.
>
>   However, since you're already allowing traffic both ways (in & out) it
>   isn't necessary in this case.
>
> * If your default rule is deny all, you don't need #3 and #6, because it
>   will be denied anyway.

		Makes sense.  This was what worked with ipf/ipf.rules;
		I just ported it.

> * If you give a hostname to ipfw, it will resolve the address when
>   adding the rule.
>
> * So you should be able to do the same thing with
>
> 	add allow tcp from any to any via dc0
> 	add allow icmp from any to any via dc0
> 	add allow ip from localhost to localhost via lo0
>
> As I said, I've only been using ipfw for a little while so wiser heads
> may contradict some of this....
>
> Best of luck :-)

	The "hostname" brings up a question (involving sending mail
	from outside using hidden/private servers).  I've been
	wondering if ipfw will let me do the following:

	sendmail is configured to send mail from "outside" to

	   jqs@thought.org

	jqs is my test account on zen.thought.org.  Can I configure
	ipfw on ns1.thought.org to recognize mail from "outside" to

	   jqs@zen.thought.org

	???  --Is there any way of testing this rule?  Anybody?

	thanks muchly!

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix