Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 21:21:34 +0100
From:      "Andy Coates" <andy@friends-tv.net>
To:        "Scott MacFiggen" <smf@activesw.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't partition last 4 gig or so of an 18gig SCSI HDD

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott MacFiggen" <smf@activesw.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2000 9:05 PM

> Ok. So I bought an HP NetServer LPr this week and slapped
> in a HP 18.2 gig HDD. When loading FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE
> I decided to partition it with 500meg swap, 5 gig for
> the / partition and I wanted to put the rest into
> /export1. sysinstall complained that maybe the parition
> was too big so I tried smaller and smaller partitions until
> I was down to 8 gig. So after that I tried to use the rest
> for a /export2 partition and go an error message again
> so I left it and finished the install. The next day I got
> the second drive in, installed it and paritioned it as one
> large partition with no problems. So question is why
> can't I use the last few gig on the first drive when the
> second drive works great.. And they are the exact same model.
>
> The error message I got from sysinstall was basically
> ( Error, could not partition disk. Possibly to big? )

I got that error when first installing FreeBSD, and it allowed me to get
around that error by choosing the order in which the mounted drives were
created. i.e. I did / first, then SWAP, then /var, and finally /usr

Not sure as to the specifics as to why it wouldn't, it just worked that way
:)

HTH,
Andy.