Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 1994 10:26:36 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@bsd.coe.montana.edu>
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
Cc:        lmcdefo@lmc.ericsson.se, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP acts ODDLY (was Re: FreeBSD 2.0R + SLIP = crashes: the plot thickens)

>     Nate> It works fine over SLIP for me.  Are you *sure* your
>     Nate> clueless IP provider has their name resolvers setup
>     Nate> correctly?
>
> I can talk to name servers of the clueless and the clueful IP
> providers from other IP-connected hosts OK, so I think the answer's
> ``yes''.

Hmm, right now on my box (IP # changed to protect the guilty) running
2.0.  All my traffic goes throught the SLIP line.

Script started on Thu Dec 22 11:07:47 1994
root:/root # ifconfig sl0
sl0: flags=9011<UP,POINTOPOINT,LINK0,MULTICAST> mtu 552
	inet 153.90.192.1001 --> 153.90.192.0 netmask 0xffffff00
root:/root # cat /etc/resolv.conf
;
; BIND data file.
;
domain		coe.montana.edu
nameserver	153.90.192.10
nameserver	153.90.2.1
nameserver	192.31.215.210
nameserver	128.95.120.1
root:/root # nslookup
Default Server:  pdq.coe.montana.edu
Address:  153.90.192.10

> freefall.cdrom.com
Server:  pdq.coe.montana.edu
Address:  153.90.192.10

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    freefall.cdrom.com
Address:  192.216.222.4

root:/root #
Script done on Thu Dec 22 11:08:15 1994

> Would their name servers be refusing to talk to their
> anything coming from their own SLIP/PPP addresses, perhaps?

I don't think that's possible, but who knows.

Nate