Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:43:06 -0600
From:      Mark Kobussen <skjellyfetti@iname.com>
To:        Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Car Mp3 Player

> Later looks revealed www.empeg.com

A wonderful site. I used to visit it almost daily - I'm using some of
his power-supply designs in my car.

> Has anyone seen this?  I think it's downright amazing.. Unfortunately
> they're on the linux bandwagon..

Not as amazing as you might think. A lot of car manufacturers are adding
embedded systems into their 2000 models. Cadillac has integrated Thermal
Imaging (Yes, like the FLIR in modern attack aircraft).

I'm throwing an embedded PC together for my car.  I'm using FreeBSD
(obviously) and plan to order an embedded Pentium board from either
Advantech, VersaLogic, or Axiom Technologies.

Display: No ASCII non-sense here! I'm using a 6" TFT LCD (for only $99!)
which fits in my double-height DIN slots in my car (where the stock
stereo was).  Most of the stuff has to be wired together (including the
inverters and power-supply for the LCD).  It's got a nice 640x320
display resolution, and it's in full color.  Unfortunately, it only
takes NTSC signals, so I need to convert the VGA from the PC.

I was talking to another FreeBSD fellow about this (Doug Russell), and
we're planning on starting up soime pages and possibly even a project to
integrate FreeBSD with embedded PC's for automotive applications.

What else?  Probably a lot of other issues I'm running over.  Right now,
I'm working on developing a GUI system for the car.  I really don't want
to use X11, as I want all the space dedicated to MP3's and the software
which controls the car (through the built-in diagnostics port).  I was
thinking SVGALib, but I have exactly NULL experience programming any
kind of graphical software, but I figure it's about time to learn.

Oh, and input.  I was thinking a 6 or 8 key pad on the driver's side
door, and possibly something like a Sony Playstation or Gravis-type
controller for the passenger (which resides in the glove-box).

--
Mark Kobussen
IS - Honeywell, SGP Division

/* '94 Mitsubishi Eclipse NT 1.8L */
/* Fender Stratocaster: Tex-Mex, 3-Tone Sunburst */