Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 13:46:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>, FreeBSD Documenters <doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How do I write this SGML stuff?

On Sat, 8 Jun 1996, John Fieber wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Jun 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> > Are we wed to LaTeX?

Altho (after some reading) TeX and LaTeX aren't that bad, especially LaTeX.

> Certainly not!
>
> groff is standard equipment in FreeBSD, (La)TeX is not and most
> likely never will be.
>
> Can anyone recommend any good books on troff?  I checked one out
> from the local library and it was abysmal.  (sound familiar
> Chuck?)

Haha, yeah, replace "troff" with "sgml" and you have my situation.  OK,
I'll trade you, here's a pretty good one for troff (I don't know if it's
still in print, and I collect troff articles from other sources):

Unix Text Processing, by Dale Dougherty abd Tim O'Reilly.  Confusing
about the publisher, because the book cover says "Hayden Books", inside
leaf says "Howard W. Sams", but copyright page says "O'Reilly &
Associates".  Anyhow, I have the 6th printing from 1989, and I like this
one pretty well, since it covers all the different troff tools (tbl, eqn,
etc) and both the ms and mm macros.  Even cruises by the use of things
like awk and vi, but briefly.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |