Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 02:32:52 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@snark.thyrsus.com>
Cc:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>, Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: branding

Eric,

I don't think that anyone would argue that advocacy is needed and
needed badly - anyone who has watched the ascension of Microsoft using
mediocre software and a not-so-mediocre marketing department knows
that empirically by now.  And I've also spent 20 years in this
business and don't like losing either, so you're only preaching to the
converted here.

What I *don't* like, however, is the fact that you seem to be bent on
factionalizing the free Unix community with the same degree of zeal
that the commercial OS vendors who brought us the GUI wars and the
SYSV/BSD split did with the commercial Unix community.  Rather than
seeking to divide though the imposition of various arbitrary barriers,
you should be seeking to UNITE this community, Eric!  I don't care how
many of your own self-imposed rules you have to bend in the process,
just get everyone pushing behind and in the same direction and you
WILL be on the road to winning.  Engaging in petty factionalism or
accusing anyone who doesn't slavishly back the cause of Linux of not
seeing the "big picture" with respect to marketing is as foolish as it
is naive and I meant what I said when I stated that I'd take you to
the mat over the issue if necessary.

So I ask you - are you with us or against us?  If you're with us, then
PROVE it by helping to push *all* free software not just that which
fits your somewhat limited definition of "marketable" free software.
If you're against us, then at least have the guts to state it
publically so that we can figure out some way of working around you.

- Jordan