Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:51:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr of Borg <dburr@borg-cube.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hardware <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Help: ISA->PCMCIA adapter no longer works after switching to SMP box

How are you gentlemen !!

I've got a problem that has me tearing my hair out in huge clumps, and I
am rapidly losing my (already tenuous as it is) grip on sanity here.
Please, someone save me from the abyss!!!

I have a FreeBSD box that acts as a NAT router for my DSL connection, so
that any of my computers hooked up to the ethernet, or any of my friends'
laptops with WaveLAN cards, can use my DSL connection.  Basically
something like this:

                                             /----------> Ethernet network
                       (running natd)        |            IP; 192.168.0.x
The Internet <--------> FreeBSD box <--------|
        External IP: x.x.x.x                 |
                                             \----------> WaveLAN
                                                          IP: 192.168.1.x

This worked great for a long time, through many versions of FreeBSD.
BUT... then I went and upgraded my FreeBSD NAT box to a SMP based system
(Tyan S1832 motherboard, dual Pentium II 400Mhz).  Now, although Ethernet
still works beautifully, WaveLAN does NOT work at all!!!!!!

Here is some description of my hardware:  Note that ALL of the hardware is
exactly the same between both configurations: the only differences are
that I replaced the IDE's with SCSI drives, and of course the new dual
processor motherboard and two CPU's.

Old, Working Configuration                  New, Broken Configuration
==========================                  =========================
EPoX MVP4A motherboard                      Tyan S1833DL Dual Slot 1 mobo
AMD K6-2/500 Mhz CPU                        2 x Intel Pentium II 400Mhz CPUs
128 MB PC100 SDRAM                          128 MB PC100 SDRAM
15 GB IBM Deskstar Ultra33 IDE HD           2 x IBM 9.1 GB Ultra2 LVD SCSI
Realtek NE2000 clone 10Mbit card (to DSL)   Realtek NE2000 clone 10Mb (to DSL)
Realtek 8139 10/100Mbit enet (to home net)  Realtek 8139 10/100Mbit (home net)
Greystone Outback ISA->PCMCIA adapter       Greystone Outback ISA->PCMCIA
  (uses Cirrus PD672x chipset/driver)         (uses Cirrus PD672x chipset)
2Mbit "bronze" OEM WaveLAN card             2Mbit "bronze" OEM WaveLAN card
Various versions of FreeBSD through 4.2     FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE

Kernel Configuration:
=====================
I have made my kernel configuration file available for viewing at:
http://www.borg-cube.com/BORG-CUBE.txt
(if, for whatever reason, you can't get to it, e-mail me and I will be
happy to send you a copy)

Anyway, here's what happens under the new Dual processor system:

The system boots up properly, and the PCMCIA adapter is detected by the
kernel:

pcic0: <Cirrus Logic PD672x> at port 0x3e0-0x3e1 on isa0
pcic0: Polling mode
pccard0: <PC Card bus - kludge version> on pcic0
pccard1: <PC Card bus - kludge version> on pcic1

(This is exactly the way the boot messages looked under the old
single-processor system)

Later on in boot, when the PCMCIA daemon (pccardd) is startd, tho, things
get a little wonky:

pccard: card inserted, slot 0
pccardd[203]: No card in database for "(null)"("(null)")

Uh huh.  Yeah.  Whatever.

I'm using the standard /etc/defaults/pccard.conf, which has the following
entry for the Lucent card I have:

# Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE
card "Lucent Technologies" "WaveLAN/IEEE"
	config	0x1 "wi" ?
#	config	auto "wi" ?
	insert	/etc/pccard_ether $device start
	remove	/etc/pccard_ether $device stop

This looks to be the same as the one I used with my old single-processor
system.  I tried tweaking this around a bit (changing the "config" line,
etc.) with no luck.  I also read through the relevant man pages on
PCMCIA and wavelan, and nothing seemed illuminating there either.

Someone on IRC told me that WaveLAN and/or PCMCIA support does not work
well (at all?) under SMP.  Is this true?  If so, then I suppose I'll have
to "dumb down" my system (run it as a signle-CPU machine) if I want to
have any WaveLAN support at all...?

Can anyone offer some assistance here?  Any and all help greatly
appreciated.  Thanks!
--
Donald Burr of Borg <dburr@borg-cube.com>     | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!
WWW: http://www.borg-cube.com/  ICQ #16997506 | http://www.freebsd.org/