Date:      Fri, 03 Apr 1998 11:30:27 -0100
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice for diagnosing X hangs / kernel hangs?

At 02:16 03.04.98 -0800, you wrote:
>On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Malte Lance wrote:

>> I changed the terminating device from CDROM to the tape-drive (SONY
SDT-7000).
>> Then this freezes did not happen as often as they did when the CDROM was
>> terminating my scsi-bus.
>> I suspect TERM-POWER is causing this trouble but i am not sure.
>> I have played with the term-power config a little:
>> 1. no term-power (same as no active terminator) [bad idea]
>> 2. term-power connected just to the terminator, not the scsi-bus [good
idea]
>> 3. term-power connected to the terminator AND the scsi-bus [not so good]
>> Best results gave nr. 2. so far (waiting for the next freeze with this
>> config).
>> My freezes always occur on heavy concurrent diskaccess.
>> My scsi-system: controller, 3 scsi-disks, cdrom, tape, zip.
>
>> Maybe you want to play with your scsi-bus-termination. Let me know about
>> your results.
>
>Hm... I agree with you -- this may be a SCSI problem (see the comments in
>-stable about SCSI stuff).

??? "-stable" ? What do you mean ???

>I now have a 2nd machine so I can try to telnet when next my system hangs.

No use. Done it already. As i said. When my machine freezes, it is like
shock-frozen, nothing works. Not even a ping comes back when pinging
it. Therefor I dont believe you will be able to telnet into it.

>I have also had great success in reducing my hangs by running the
>following program from another virtual console:

This is fighting the symptoms ... no real solution. But for the time, until
a solution is found, it is undoubtly useful.

Malte Lance
malte@webmore.com