Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 19:46:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mi@aldan.algebra.com
To:        des@ofug.org
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org, julian@vicor-nb.com, Developers@FreeBSD.org, DougB@yahoo-inc.com
Subject:   Re: Lessons learned from 4.4. upgrade problems

On 15 Oct, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> mi@aldan.algebra.com writes:
>> Adding to that -- I have  a Pentium-100, where the 4.4-install kernel
>> panics always -- right after  the visual configuration. Regardless of
>> what, if anything, was configured.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/advanced.html#KERNEL-PANIC-TROUBLESHOOTING
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

Yes,  I know.  Of  course.  I've read  those  pages  several times,  and
followed them in the past.  Such following requires considerable effort,
which is usually wasted -- judging  by my past experience. I decided not
to  go through  it again,  until  I receive  a response  to the  initial
panic-complaint saying something like: "mm, weird, could you send me the
stack dump, I'll take a look?".

I understand, that  such panics are difficult to  reproduce, but without
prior assurances,  that my  detailed reports will  not be  ignored until
irrelevance, I refuse to create them.

In  fact, this  URLs were  already pointed  out to  me, and  others, who
adopted a  similar view. And  my current attitude was  already explained
before -- also publicly.

Doug Barton wrote:
> It would have been much better to start a new thread in -stable.

The  initial panic-complaint  was sent  to -stable  a week  ago with  no

> Regardless of  where you  think the thread  should be  discussed, it's
> rude to  forward mail sent  to a private  list (like developers)  to a
> public list.

Even though, I think the  distinction between private and public FreeBSD
mailing lists is  purely in one's perception, I have  to point out, that
my  response contained  only a  tiny  quote of  the original,  "private"
message.

Sorry if anyone was, indeed, offended.

	-mi