Date:      25 Oct 2001 09:48:02 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Openssh

sudz@ns3g.com (Colin Legendre) writes:

> I have now noticed that this only occurs if you run trafshow/or/tcpdump on
> the machine you are connected to, if you run trafshow on the server end the
> connection it goes crazy, if you run it only on the client end it is fine.
> Looks like there is a problem in the interaction between the ssh2 protocol
> in Openssh and the bpf0 device. Any ideas?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your description, but it sounds like you're
passing the output of tcpdump back through the ssh connection.  That
results in more traffic, because the tcpdump output itself becomes part of
the traffic, which is picked up by tcpdump, which prints it out and puts it
into the traffic, ad infinitum (until you hit your bandwidth limit or the
bpf has to drop some traffic to keep up).  I'd expect this cycle for this
case; the question is really why it *doesn't* happen in the other protocol.

But probably I *am* misunderstanding, and with luck you can just explain
where I'm confused...