Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:31:33 PDT
From:      "Michael Lewis" <m1ewis@hotmail.com>
To:        wdr@tdl.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gnome/Enlightenment config

Hello Mr. Richard -- you helped me out several days ago (cf. your reply
below) with a problem in which X runs ok when I logged-on as root but not
when I create a new user and log on as that user and startx.  I checked the
.xinitrc file in the user's home dir and made sure it contained

WINDOW_MANAGER=/usr/X11R6/bin/enlightenment
exec gnome-session

as you suggested (in fact that's the entire contents of the file).  This
user (mlewis) runs bash-2.03 as his shell. When I ran startx as mlewis I got
what appeared to the the normal X startup lines in the shell display.  Then
the X screen came up briefly, then shut down (no Gnome/Enlightenment
displays), returning me to the shell command prompt after leaving the
following messages on the shell display:

System: 'usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp -w 1 -R/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb - xkm
-m us
-em1 "The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:" -emp "> " -eml
"Errors
from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server" keymap/xfree86
/var/tmp/xfree86.xkm'

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
/dev/dsp: No such file or directory

** WARNING **: Unable to lock ICE authority file:
/users/mlewis/.ICEauthority

waiting for X server to shut down .

When I return to the root tty, there is the message:

Apr 13 12:23:13 coldcreek /kernel: pid 314 (gnome-session), uid 1000: exited
on signal 11
(core dumped)

and there is indeed a large gnome_session.core file in /users/mlewis.  I'm
assuming the fatal error is associated with the "unable to lock
.ICEauthority" warning.

When I ls -l /users/mlewis/.ICEauthority I get

-rw------- 1 mlewis  mlewis     886 Apr 11 20:15 .ICEauthority

Can you advise me on what to do about the locking problem (if that's the
problem!).

thanks, Michael Lewis