Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 08:14:35 -0500
From:      <dave@hawk-systems.com>
To:        "Sandro Mancuso" <sandromancuso@hotmail.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: PLEEEEEASE READ!!!!!sorry had to try it

Check that your ISP's reverse DNS works.  As do many other mail servers, the
FreeBSD list server appears to do a reverse lookup before accepting mail from
your ISP's mail server.  If no reverse is found, it doesn't accept the mail.

Had issue with this over the last few days, junior tech broke reverse lookup for
an IP address which included our mail server (too many PTR responses).  in
checking the logs, the freebsd server was responding;

@400000003c72a509258b0bbc delivery 3669: deferral:
XXX.XXX.XXX.XX_does_not_like_recipient./Remote_host_said:_450_Client_host_reject
ed:_cannot_find_your_hostname,_[XXX.XX.XXX.XX]/Giving_up_on_XXX.XXX.XXX.XX./

quick dig showed that reverse wasnot working forthe mail server.  Fixed the dns
issue, then forced qmail to flush the queue...  delivered as expected.

Knowing the technical capability and quality network design of the cable
ISP's...  would not be surprised if something in their reverse is broken.  Took
us a few months to teach Sprint technicians how to properly delegate a class
C...  shown the type of technical capability in these larger organizations.

Dave