Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 19:25:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        imp@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   if_awi crash on IBM 560E, today's -CURRENT

Warner,

Not sure if you're the right person to direct this to, but since you're Mr
Pccard right now, I figured I'd give you a try.  :-)

I have an IBM 560E notebook, and a Bay Networks 650 802.11FH wireless
card.  This is the one used at the IETF last December in Washington, and
supported by the if_awi driver.  I decided I'd pull my notebook from the
old PAO version that supported the if_awi driver to 5.0-CURRENT-BLEEDING
and attempt to set it up as a wireless bridge.  My 3Com ethernet card
seems to work fine, but attempting to use the Bay Networks card results in
a hang after it is detected.  The kernel is almost a GENERIC kernel (it
has capabilities patches, but all hardware configuration is the same, and
I'm using GENERIC.hints as my device.hints.)

Pccardd apparently correctly identifies the card and reports that to
syslogd, but a couple of seconds later the systam hangs.

Sep 16 19:18:04 sleipnir /boot/kernel/kernel pccard: card inserted, slot 0
Sep 16 19:18:10 sleipnir pccardd[64]: Card "Bay Networks"("BayStack 650
Wireless LAN") [ASP      ] [V3.21/00062149-00011499-FW: USA -TSW: 3.0]
matched "Bay Networks" ("BayStack 650 Wireless LAN") [(null)] [(null]

The hang results in num lock/etc not being toggleable, and ctrl-alt-escape
doesn't even prompt "No debugger in kernel", much less a ddb prompt :-).

I'm not sure how to debug this further, or if this is the expected
behavior.

(I'm also not sure if we support ad hoc mode on the if_awi driver, but at
least not having the machine crash would be a good start)

  Robert N M Watson