Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 2004 14:13:27 -0800
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ICH5 SATA controller problems?

We have recently updated our "build server" to FreeBSD 5.2.1 and are bumpin=
g=20
into problems with the S/ATA drives that others have mentioned.  Earlier=20
today we configured the SATA controllers for "Legacy support" in the BIOS=20
as suggested recently on this list.  This seems to have partly fixed the=20
problem, since then we've experienced one hang that the system managed to=20
recover from after a minute or two of unresponsiveness.

In order to quickly resolve this problem, my company has agreed to provide =
a=20
motherboard with ICH5 controller to S=F8ren Schmidt.  Can anyone who has=20
encountered this problem confirm that it happens on a motherboard with the=
=20
865 chipset and ICH5 S/ATA controller?  In particular, we're looking at an=
=20
Abit IS7-E motherboard.  If not, we'll buy one of the more expensive Intel=
=20
units and provide that.

Thanks in advance for your help.  Please reply directly to me; I'll=20
summarize and report back here when we've reached a conclusion.

=2D-=20

Wes Peters                                              wes@OpenSail.ORG
Skipper                                             The OpenSail Project