Date:      21 Aug 2002 19:01:54 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on a Mac

On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 23:45, David Kelly wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 August 2002 04:17 pm, Derrick MacPherson wrote:
> > > If there is any feature I'd like for FreeBSD to have is Apple's
> > > Aqua.
> >
> > Yeah, it's a nice interface, I find it gets more annoying after time
> > though. To be honest, my fave interface to any unix I have used so
> > far is 4Dwm from SGI. There was a few attempts at creating Aqua for
> > Linux, but Apple asked them to stop working on it. Short sighted I
> > would think, but what else is new?
>
> I too miss the simple and clean 4Dwm.
>
> But its not just the look of Aqua I desire for FreeBSD, but the whole
> shooting match behind it. If FreeBSD had that then all MacOS X
> applications should be as easy or easier to port to FreeBSD than Linux
> apps are today.
>
> And Apple would have a state of the art x86 platform.
>
> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net

A stste of the art i386 platform would be the death knell of apple.
They are a hardware company.  If suddenly all they had to sell was OSX
and the other 3 apps they make that no one uses where does that leave
them?

Apple is a lot like Sun, or SGI, or to stretch the analogy a tad
Compaq/HP.  When you buy their systems you are buying a turn-key
solution.  They (sometimes) designed the hardware, they wrote the OS,
they wrote the drivers, and there's on number on the back of the
handbook you call when something gets fux0red.

I'm not claiming to have the end-all authoritative opinion on this, but
apple WOULD have to do some radical shifting around of their operation
if they were going to do OSX on i386, and I just don't see that shifting
around happening.

Josh