Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 09:40:43 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Advocacy" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on the desktop (was: TheRegister article on Hotmail)
References:  <20021121161453.GA69019_submonkey.net@ns.sol.net> <008501c2917a$ac643080$0a00000a_atkielski.com@ns.sol.net> <200211221502.gAMF2a6a089963@catflap.bishopston.net> <20021122234047.GB60785@wantadilla.lemis.com> <014201c29296$f9cc4a20$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <20021123071534.GC39240@wantadilla.lemis.com> <01e101c292c8$1aa8cda0$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <20021123082710.GD39240@wantadilla.lemis.com>

Greg writes:

> Most Microsoft users "don't see a need" to do
> things better.

Perhaps, although Quark XPress is written by Quark, not Microsoft, and it is
the standard of the industry.

> That's amply demonstrated in email which is so
> badly laid out that you'd think people would be
> ashamed of it.

Most people don't care.  They are interested only in the content of e-mail,
not in its formatting or in the conformance of its headers to any arbitrary
standard.  Only geeks care about the latter things, and geeks are an
increasingly small minority of computer users.

> The market doesn't know what it wants.

More precisely, the market refuses to want what you think is best for it.

> You're not listening, are you?

I am listening, even though I've heard it all before.

Most people dramatically overestimate the objective importance of things
that interest them.  Computer geeks thus dramatically overestimate the
importance of just about any aspect of computers.  People who are not
computer geeks, however, do not care, and will consistently opt for whatever
requires the smallest amount of thought on their part ... since they prefer
to think about other things instead.

> That's what getting your work done is all about.

No, you can get work done with just about anything.  It doesn't have to be
ideal.  And in fact, the time, effort, and money required to implement and
use someone's notion of an "ideal" solution to getting work done is simply
not justified for people who have other interests in life.  Anything will do
for them.

> If I had to use Microsoft Outlook, I wouldn't even
> get through my mail: it would take me more than a
> working day to get through it.

But lots of people use Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Outlook Express and
are entirely happy with it.  They do not have your emotional investment in
e-mail products.

> I'm not sure what relevance this statement has.

I'm trying to make clear that you have an extremely skewed perspective on
the importance of many aspects of computer science in the real world--the
world outside the geek community.

Just as you lament ordinary computer users not using your idea of the
perfect system, there are dentists lamenting the fact that you do not
carefully brush and floss after every meal, and there are cardiologists
lamenting the fact that you do not precisely weigh the quantities of
saturated and unsaturated fats in every meal you consume.  There are car
mechanics who lament your failure to rotate your tires and change your oil
according to a precise and optimal schedule.  There are environmentalists
who lament your failure to shut off your computer whenever you step away
from your desk, and your failure to install optimal, maximally efficient
insulation in your home to save energy.  There are clergymen who lament your
failure to pray for at least one hour daily in order to ensure your
salvation in the afterlife.  And so on.

Do you see the point?  What is important to you is not necessarily important
to others.  Microsoft and many other companies in many domains understand
this, and design and market their products accordingly.