Date:      14 Mar 2003 00:42:21 +0000
From:      Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
To:        Maksim Yevmenkin <Maksim.Yevmenkin@cw.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Anycom bluetooth progress

On čt, 2003-03-13 at 22:39, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:

> > My questions here: do we support headset emulation on PC, or
> > sending/reading SMS messages? What is IrMC Sync service good for?
>
> the headset profile is not currently supported. i need to add
> support for SCO (voice) links first. BTW you can send SMS messages
> with serial port. all you need to do is to open RFCOMM connection
> to one of the channels that has serial port service. then you need
> to get AT command set for your phone and then just send AT command
> and you should be set. in fact you can control your entire phone
> over serial port.

Aha. I know AT and I used to control my previous phone over serial cable
and infrared terminal too.

> IrMC Sync service is for synchronization with PC. you can use
> "obexapp" client from snapshot ports/ to download/upload address
> book and calendar entries. its just file based protocol that uses
> OBEX as transport. please read man page for obexapp for more info.

Aha, thank for hints. I'll toy with those tools over weekend.

> > > 3) enable authentication for the incoming connection
> > >
> > >  # hccontrol -n ubt0hci write_authentication_enable 1
> >
> > it's enabled
>
> did you do hccontrol -n ubt0hci read_authentication_enable
> to verify its really on?

Yes, I verified. And there wasn't any connection to the phone, according
both to hccontrol and to display of my phone.

> > > 4) start hcsed
> >
> > started
> >
> > > 5) use your phone and try to connect to your PC
> > > you should be able to pair with your phone now.
> >
> > Unsuccessfull, exactly same as yesterday.
> >
> > > HCI Event: Connect Request(0x04) plen 10
> >   A4 19 29 37 80 00 04 02 52 01
> > < HCI Command: Accept Connection Request(0x01|0x0009) plen 7
> >   A4 19 29 37 80 00 00
> > > HCI Event: Command Status(0x0f) plen 4
> >   00 01 09 04
> > > HCI Event: Connect Complete(0x03) plen 11
> >   1A 29 00 A4 19 29 37 80 00 01 00
>
> what?! this is really strange. here is sniplet from Bluetooth 1.1 spec
>
> HCI_Write_Authentication_Enable 0x0020 Authentication_Enable Status
>
> This command will write the value for the Authentication_Enable parameter.
> The Authentication_Enable parameter controls if the local device requires to
> authenticate the remote device at connection setup (between the
> Create_Connection command or acceptance of an incoming ACL connection
> and the corresponding Connection Complete event). At connection setup, only
> the device(s) with the Authentication_Enable parameter enabled will try to
> authenticate the other device.
> Note: Changing this parameter does not affect existing connections.
>
> you PC MUST authenticate incomming connection from the phone. otherwise
> its not conforming to Bluetooth 1.1 spec. are you sure there are no active
> baseband connections? another reason could be differences between Bluetooth
> 1.0 and 1.1. i will download 1.0b spec and check on that.

Yes, I'm sure that my PC refused all connections (pairing attempts) from
the phone. Well, it can't be broader problem, because I don't have any
way how to check if I can connect from phone to PC at all.

> > How can I check that hcsecd is getting and responding to incoming
> > traffic? I checked with strace, it reads correct config file. Here are
> > some interesting parts:
> >
> > socket(0x24 /* PF_??? */, SOCK_RAW, 134) = 3
> > setsockopt(3, 0x802 /* IPPROTO_??? */, 1, [671429626], 12) = 0
> > [..]
> > recvfrom(3,
> >
> > here it stop blocked reading from that socket. And nothing ever happens
> > anymore. When I do pairing request on phone, this process does not do
> > anything. Also there is no change in `ngctl list` output.
>
> looks fine to me. hcsecd listens on raw HCI sockets for Link_Key_Request
> or PIN_Code_Request. it will block until required event is received.

And it was never received, even when I tried to pair my phone several
times.

> > that I have to pair devices every time I want to connect. But the phone
> > seems to ask for link key, which I don't have. Can I get one somewhere?
> > I'm leaving this to further investigation later.
>
> you sure can :) just create one :) its pre-shared link key that works
> between pair of BDADDRs. you can program this key info device itself
> or put it into hcsecd config. check out {Read,Write,Delete}_Stored_Link_Key
> commands in hccontrol(8). the problem is the phone. can you program link
> key in the phone? my wife's sony ericsson t68i does not have this feature.

I don't think T39 have such feature also. But, as I figured out later,
if entry for my PC stays in phone's list of paired devices, I don't have
to pair it again. Even hcsecd does not need to be running. So this issue
solved automagically itself.

> 4) on your phone save PC device to the list of paired devices. Hopefuly
>    phone will store the link key.

this alone is enough

> > MANY THANKS for drivers and excellent support.
> > I'm sending this email over bluetooth now :)
>
> no problem. thanks for you time :) how is GPRS speed? is it usable
> for internet browsing?

GPRS is same as before, Bluetooth and your stack is not slowing it down.
I must say it's much more CPU efficient than serial cable I used before.
I have older phone, it's only 3+1 timeslots, so ~4 kB/s download and
~1 kB/s upload. It's comparable to ordinary modem.

I putted together a webpage where I wrote step by step what I had to do
to get this working. It's on http://www.oook.cz/bsd/bluetooth.html
I will add sections for other services as I'll figure them out. :)

Many thanks again, Maksim.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>