Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 19:52:03 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Subject:   RE: libh src/ import

At 3:30 PM -0700 9/6/01, John Baldwin wrote:
>On 06-Sep-01 Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  >
>  > I agree it should be somewhere better than src/release.
>>
>>  I don't like the idea of a project that we have complete control
>>  over would end up in src/contrib, however.  I understand that it
>>  could have a wider audience than just FreeBSD, but src/contrib
>  > is supposed to be for those things that we "keep our hands off of..."
>
>You are making an erroneous assumption that all libh developers are
>FreeBSD developers.  At least one libh committer is _not_ a FreeBSD
>committer.  GUI's and OS's are two different things and draw from
>different developer communities (albeit communities that intersect
>at points).  A similar idea would be if we decided to write our own
>C compiler and make it part of the FreeBSD project instead of being
>its own project.  Or our own graphical system that is a
>replacement for X.

You are making an erroneous assumption about what assumptions I
am making about the developers on libh...   :-)

I am just saying that libh (even with it's ONE non-freebsd committer
on it), does not strike me as something which belongs in src/contrib.
Some of the other things that libh needs (eg: tcl) obviously do belong
in src/contrib.

I suggested an alternate directory for this, one which we might move
other "parts of freebsd" into.  This alternate directory might very
well be one which is a different CVS repository than the rest of the
freebsd project, but it isn't "unrelated" to freebsd in the same
sense as 'gcc' is "unrelated" to freebsd (or at least, I HOPE libh
won't be that "unrelated"!).  My understanding is that src/contrib is
supposed to be for "freebsd hands-off" projects, and I do not think
libh should fit that description.  If the gcc gang wants to make a
change which causes trouble for freebsd, well, they're going to make
the change and we will just have to deal with it.  If the libh guys
make changes which are a PROBLEM for freebsd, then in my opinion
something will have gone seriously wrong.

That's just my opinion, but it's the opinion I'm sticking with...

Please note that I'm not as worked up about pushing everyone to *agree*
with my opinion as I may seem to be in this message.  I'm only trying
to make sure everyone understands the suggestion I am making.

The thing is, I'm not quite sure what that "new directory" should be.
Perhaps maybe even something as weird-sounding as ports/freebsd or
sys/ports.  I think we could find some other parts of the base
freebsd system which would merit the same treatment that we are
envisioning for libh.