Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 16:39:40 EST
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-qa@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0-RELEASE Install

Hi:

I installed 4.0-RELEASE on March 15th from ftp.freebsd.org and found these
problems:

1. "Unable to extract local distribution"

I had the same problem with 4.0-RC3.  What is the local distribution?  Is it
important?  Has this been fixed? Can I now get it using /stand/sysinstall?

2. "Package RSAREF was not found in the Index"

Again, can I now get this using /stand/sysinstall?

3. After the system rebooted, I logged in a user account but I got the
message "could not lookup internet address for ..."  when I started x.  (I
hit a "continue" button or something and X did start - but Netscape did not
connect to any web pages)  Perhaps my NIC was not being made available as a
device to the user account?

I don't recall getting the message under root, but I haven't yet tested
Netscape under root either.  Is there some privilege that I have to set, or
some group that a user must belong to that will allow access to the NIC?

4. I wasn't asked if I wanted to sync my clock with an outside source.  Is
this because I didn't activate named?  How can I activeate named now?
(stand/sysinstall?)

5. By CVSup-ing, I can keep my sources up-to-date, but how do I know thta is
safe to make and install a new kernel?  (I have been wondering this about
those who track -CURRENT)

I know that it is always a good idea to keep a previously workign kernel
around, but how do you tell the system, on boot, to use the old one?

John