Date:      Sun, 07 Jul 2002 11:39:49 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        walid Nehme <nastylid@hotmail.com>
Cc:        jackstone@sage-one.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a way not to download packages everytime i need to install them

walid Nehme wrote:

> Dear Jack l. Stone
> but the machines are not on the same network !!!
> sorry for not explaining that....

I ftp files in /usr/ports/distfiles onto all of my machines. When I
make ports, I do a "make package" and that creates a tarball in
/usr/ports/packages/All if you have the directory. I ftp everything in
.../All to the other machines and simply pkg_add the_tarball from
/usr/ports/packages/All.

The other machines have to be running the same version of the ports. I
use a local cvsup mirror and that isn't a problem. I cvsup ports-all
on all of the ones I am going to upgrade. You have to keep the
/usr/ports/INDEX* files current and I run "portsdb -uU" on one machine
and ftp the INDEXs to the other machines. Ftp is much faster than
letter portsdb rebuild them on the other systems.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA