Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 17:37:25
From:      "Thor Legvold" <tlegvold@hotmail.com>
To:        joao@bowtie.nl
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network setup questions

Hi Joao, (vôce é português?)

>I don't know much about pptp-client programs merely about the ports >needed
>be open on a firewall in order to pass it trough. But if you say it >won't
>work even with the firewall open,  i guess there's not much help I >can
>give
>you..

No, I opened it up and had the same problem. Could nat be making problems
for me? It's configured for my "external" interface wi0 (on the 10.10.2.0
net), should I configure it for the ng0 iface, or for something else?

I tried pptp-client, the config script (perl) crashes, the script wants
config files in /etc/pptp.d/ while the readme says to put them in
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf (neither seems to work). It hangs when run, no log, no
info, no connection :-(

mpd-netgraph changes terms in the documentation (sometimes server, sometimes
peer - the same, right?), nor is it clear to me what is my IP address and
what is my peers address, if I need a "pptp self" address at all or not (and
if so, which of my addresses is it?). My machine has (at least) 2 IP
addresses... One for the LAN, one for the WAN. Also there's the loopback,
and devices down that don't currently have addresses, like ppp0. And I'm
assigned an IP when (if) I connect successfully via PPTP (and I know the
genereal range). Plus I'm supposed to supply the VPN "name", I can't see
where that is configured. Nor does the documentation say if one needs a
pap.secrets or chap.secrets - all I have is a mpd.secrets, dunno if it's
enough...

Anyway I feel like I'm just digging myself deeper in this quicksand with
each repeated time. Now I've found some doc's on Deja that say you need to
run pppd in addition to pptp, one runs over the other. ?!?!?  No wonder I'm
getting confused ;-)

>Anyway about the firewall . In my experience with pptp I had to >open the
>following ports..
>
>control channel:	1723 tcp & udp
>
>GRE or GRE over UDP:	P:47  or  47 udp
>
>And because of the client being behind the firewall (in my case) I >had to
>add
>-pptpalias <clientIp> to my natd parameters.. But since you use the
> >firewall
>as a client I guess you don't need that anyway.

I have no idea.  I really need to get an overview as to all this stuff fits
together and interoperates....

>It's not much , but I hope it helps.
>
>Regards,
>Joao