Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 01:53:06 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Anthony's e-mail snip class, take one (was: Re: Microsoft Advocacy?)

Andrew writes:

> I seriously don't appreciate you putting words
> in my mouth or taking the entire reply in the
> context it was written.

I haven't.  I postulated a position on your part and asked you to clarify if
that is indeed your position.

> I welcome discussion of any operating system.

Then why do you feel that discussion of Microsoft--publisher of the most
successful operating system on the planet--should be excluded?

And if you feel that discussion of Microsoft is off-topic, can you explain
the greater relevance of a thread that you entitle "Anthony's e-mail snip
class"?

> However, I will not stand by while FreeBSD is made
> into a pariah by someone who has relatively little
> experience with it.

If anyone does that, I'll count on you to jump to FreeBSD's defense.

> Again, you're putting words in my mouth ...

Where have I done that?  "Putting words in your mouth" would mean misquoting
you, but I haven't quoted you at all beyond the backquotes I've extracted
directly from your own posts.

> ... and I'm going to refrain from engaging further
> in your witch hunt with me as the target.

I believe I've heard this somewhere before.

> You seem to read what you want in a post, manipulate
> it the way that you want when you reply, and
> attempt to make out as if people have said
> things that they have not.

No, I find the logical inconsistencies in a position and point them out.  To
people who do not reflect upon what they say before they say it, this can
admittedly be very irritating--but that is their problem, not mine.

> I agree that Microsoft should be discussed, but not
> held up as a shining beacon of what FreeBSD is
> striving to become.

Nobody has done that.

Like many people here, you appear to interpret any non-positive mention of
FreeBSD at all in relation to a Microsoft product as some sort of attack on
FreeBSD, rather than just an observation--and additionally you seem to take
it personally.  This makes a poor impression on anyone to whom you which to
address your advocacy of FreeBSD, as it looks a lot like religion, rather
than reason.

> I disagree with the usage of this forum to
> praise Microsoft while at the same time blasting
> FreeBSD for not being more like Microsoft.

I have neither praised nor blasted either of these operating systems.  I
don't invest any emotion into my discussions.  I suppose others may be doing
that, but it might be more productive to take that up directly with them.

> > If these titles won't work properly without it,
> > then it would seem that it is the best operating
> > system for those titles, no?
>
> That's why I have two machines that I use primarily.

You haven't answered the question:  If these titles won't work properly
without Windows 98, then Windows 98 is necessarily the best operating system
for those titles--do you or do you not agree, and why?

> Is it really any business of yours?

It certainly is, on a mailing list dedicated to advocacy of FreeBSD.  If the
applications for which people use the OS are top secret, it's going to be
extremely hard to promote the operating system.

I use FreeBSD as a server.  It provides e-mail services and DNS services,
currently, and it also serves as a prototype system for my production Web
site (which also runs FreeBSD).

> Yes I do, and yes I have in the past.

How do you use the FreeBSD systems you run as servers?

> So, because I'm a FreeBSD advocate ... then I'm
> suddenly an immature FreeBSD zealot in your eyes?

I said nothing of the kind.  You inferred that I was speaking of you--which
says something in itself.

Just because I insist on taking a balanced viewpoint of operating systems
does not mean that I am a basher of FreeBSD or a sycophant of Microsoft.

> Hmm... could someone wake me when Anthony's opinion
> matters to anyone but himself?

It must matter a great deal to you, given the effort you expend here in
attempts to discredit it.