Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 11:30:22 -0700
From:      steve@Watt.COM (Steve Watt)
To:        Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail rantlet

On Oct 8, 10:44, Gregory Neil Shapiro wrote:
} steve> I was rather astonished to discover that the installworld had
} steve> overwritten my lovingly crafted `hostname`.mc with a copy of
} steve> freebsd.mc.
}
} I don't see how this could be true (unless mergemaster did something).
[ ... maybe it isn't installworld ... ? ]
} There is nothing there to overwrite a .mc file.
}
} /usr/src/etc/mail/Makefile is not used during installworld.  However, even
} if you later did a 'make install' in /etc/mail, `hostname`.mc is only put
} in place if it doesn't already exist:
}
} .ifndef SENDMAIL_MC
} SENDMAIL_MC!=           hostname
} SENDMAIL_MC:=           ${SENDMAIL_MC}.mc
}
} ${SENDMAIL_MC}: freebsd.mc
} 	cp freebsd.mc ${SENDMAIL_MC}
} .endif

This is probably it.  I don't have SENDMAIL_MC defined because of the
warning in the sendmail Makefile that says:
# Local SENDMAIL_MC or SENDMAIL_CF may be set in /etc/make.conf.
# Warning! If set, this causes 'make install' to always copy it
# over /etc/mail/sendmail.cf!!!
# Caveat emptor!  Be sure you want this before you enable it.

Since SENDMAIL_MC is not defined, it copies freebsd.mc over it.
I think that's the problem, right there.  The copy should only
be done if `hostname`.mc doesn't exist, not if SENDMAIL_MC isn't
defined...  at least in my opinion.

Thanks for the info, though.

--
Steve Watt KD6GGD  PP-ASEL-IA          ICBM: 121W 56' 57.8" / 37N 20' 14.9"
 Internet: steve @ Watt.COM                         Whois: SW32