Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:18:39 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Agus <agus.262@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How many Labels/partitions are permitted?

--+/c+wG9PuVDVAlsu

On Thursday, 19 October 2006 at 20:29:07 -0300, Agus wrote:
> Hi all. I was reading the installation of freebsd and get that only
> partitions, sorry, labels a to h are allowed. is this so?

Yes.  Also, you can't use 'c' for a partition, since it represents the
whole disk, and on one disk at least you'll need a swap partition, so
6 is the maximum number of file systems you could create.  That's not
just adequate, it's far too many.

> So if i want to have the following scheme:
> /
> /home
> /usr
> /usr/local
> /tmp
> /var
> /var/log
> /homeb
>
> Can i make this? cause i tried, but i get an X in the label...

You can't make partitions like this.  But why do you want to?  There's
nothing to stop you making a single root file system and directories
of these names.  My recommendation in "The Complete FreeBSD"
(http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/CFBSD/) is to create a root
file system of 8 to 10 GB and a /home file system for the rest of the
disk.

Greg

--+/c+wG9PuVDVAlsu

--+/c+wG9PuVDVAlsu--