Date:      Sun, 8 Feb 1998 22:48:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        sepotvin@videotron.ca
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current dying horribly when using lp0

> > Do this again with a radix of 16.  When you find the damaged pointer
> > in memory, then examine the region of memory before it and after it
> > (again in hex).
>
>  Found out that mclfree is causing the trap12. It's pointing somewhere in
> hyperspace when it makes my kernel crash. While I was digging around, I
> noticed something I find weird. Is it possible to have more free clusters
> than obtained clusers (mbstat.m_clfree > mbstat.m_clusters)?

No.

Does "someplace in hyperspace", when you look at the resion in memory,
look like an ethernet hardware address?

Are you running IP firewall?

Do you have a reject rule?

Are you getting TCP packets in that match the rule?

There is (was?) a bug in the IP firewall code that resulted in an
input ehter address structure being written to, effectively, random
locations on the kernel stack.  This is because the stack was used for
a structure, and the calling code returned before the scheduled code
completed.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---