Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 20:21:05 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Software Recommendations

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 04:18:28PM +0100, Johann Sharizan wrote:
> Are there any websites or something similar out there, listing the most popular software for a task, recommended by experienced gurus?
>
> This is my 2nd try posting this question, I hope it made more sense.

Mmm. The question makes sense, but is it a sensible question ?
"Gurus" ought te be a banned word, your question would be answerable
if you asked more specifically what task(s) you are trying to achieve.
(how are you going to know who to believe anyway ?

If you say I want to create a simple relational database (for example),
you will get a few people telling you the pro's and con's according to
their experience. For most tasks their are a lot of tools and a lot of
opinions. For example I cannot imagine why anyone in their right mind
still uses "sendmail" as their MTA (again, just an example), so I would
recommend Postfix if you asked me about MTA's. Someone else might say
he implemented his own in APL and you should do the same.

Ask a more specific question.

Om mani padme hum.

--
Regards