Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 22:27:26 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bpf psuedo device

In the last episode (Jul 09), Jim Freeze said:
> Unless I am mistaken, I just noticed that the GENERIC kernel
> with 4.6 has the bpf psuedo device active by default.
> Given the potential security problems, why is this not
> commented out? Has the base install sufficiently protected
> this from being a security risk? Or, is it a dependency for
> something in the base install?
> Since I am not running a DHCP server, I am comtemplating
> rebuilding my kernel with it off. Does that sound like
> a good thing to do?

You just noticed this? :)

bpf was enabled in GENERIC starting with FreeBSD 3.3, back in August
1999.

 revision 1.179
 date: 1999/08/07 01:42:08;  author: jkh;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -3
 Enable bpf by default.  There was no significant dissention to my proposal
 of 2 weeks ago that this be done, and anyone who wishes to make bpf more
 selective according to securelevel or compile-time options is more
 than free to do so.

See http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?id=8442.933363979@zippy.cdrom.com
and the many many replies for the details.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com