Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:53:38 EDT
From:      "Tom Hines" <tomhines2@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   40upgrade kit

Hi.  Relative newbie here.  I was browsing the freebsd web site the other
day and noticed the section on upgrade kits at
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/.  Because I run 4.0-RELEASE, I installed the
4.0 to 4-stable upgrade kit, and now I can't install any ports.  It fails on
fetch with the message "bad system call".  I noticed that one of the files
upgraded by the kit was libc.so, which is a symlink that was pointing to
libc.so.3 and now points to the new libc.so.4.  I suspect that might be the
problem.

I tried deleting the package with pkg_delete, but got a message saying that
was impossible because it would render my system useless.  What can I do?
Can I just point libc.so back to libc.so.3?  I vaguely recall a utility to
do such things called ldd or something but I can't remember.

tia,
tom