Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 14:23:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      goodleaf <john@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Off Topic AND Newbie-ish! Security...

Apologies for off-topic post. <sycophant>But the people on this list have
the highest average competence I know of--mailing list wise.</sycophant>

How secure is a pkzipped file that has been zipped with a password? My
company is considering exchanging data, possibly sensitive, with another
company who wants to "encrypt" by pkzipping to a password. Isn't the
algorithm for pkzip too well known to be secure?

I think they want to use it because they can easily call it from a command
line; they batch data from their dbase and ship it out to us. They don't
like human intervention, and pkzip works with batch files. Does PGP (Yes,
we would pay for appropriate licenses.) have a similar capability?

Any thoughts are appreciated. I'm relatively new even to thinking about
security, and here I am having to make a decision about it. I love the
corporate life.
Thanks,
John