Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 11:40:39 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Visual config broken?

J Wunsch stands accused of saying:
> My private ``snap'', sources taken just prior to the big ``awk dumps
> core'' troubles, repeatedly crashes in the visual config.  The strange
> thing is that this only happens for the GENERIC kernel, not the
> BOOTMFS one.  Everything works well until i enter ``visual''.  The
> picture looks very confused then, though if you know where to find
> what in visual config, you can still move around and select the items.
> Once i'm pressing the up arrow key while configuring the ed0
> parameters, it page faults.  All works fine if i run the non-visual
> config, however, and the kernel at least boots into multi-user as
> well.  Weird.

Hmm, is this before or after PHK's new printf stuff?  visuserconfig uses
printf pretty heavily, and any funnies would cause unspeakable havoc.

Can you give some idea of where it's crashing?  If you're seeing stack
corruption, I'd blame printf, but if it's repeatable and not stack-based
then I'll have to have a look 8(

> This is an i386 with an MDA display (in case it matters :).

Shouldn't, I just talk to the console driver (such as it is at that point 8)

> cheers, J"org

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[