Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:17:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Neil Short <neshort@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 143, Issue 16

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 20:03:59 +0200
> From: Erik N?rgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
> Subject: configuring keyboard in xorg
> To: FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
>
> Hi:
>
> I have installed xorg on a new machine, and things
> justed worked out of
> the box, with the exception of the keyboard layout.
> Now, I can't find
> the usual XF86Config anywhere, I see a sample
> xorg.conf.eg but editing
> this just setting keyboard layout and map I get an
> error
>
>    getty repeating too quickly on port ttyv8
>
> Where is the default config now? it's been years
> since I last configured
> X - that was last time I bought a new computer...
>
> While I'm at it, how do I set the mouse speed?
>
> Thanks, Erik
>
> --
> Ph: +34.666334818                      web:
> http://www.locolomo.org

according to man xorg.conf:
       Xorg uses a configuration file called xorg.conf
for its initial  setup.
       This  configuration  file  is searched for in
the following places when
       the server is started as a normal user:

           /etc/X11/<cmdline>
           /usr/X11R6/etc/X11/<cmdline>
           /etc/X11/$XORGCONFIG
           /usr/X11R6/etc/X11/$XORGCONFIG
           /etc/X11/xorg.conf-4
           /etc/X11/xorg.conf
           /etc/xorg.conf
           /usr/X11R6/etc/X11/xorg.conf.<hostname>
           /usr/X11R6/etc/X11/xorg.conf-4
           /usr/X11R6/etc/X11/xorg.conf
           /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xorg.conf.<hostname>
           /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xorg.conf-4
           /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xorg.conf

I always just stick it in /etc/ .

Anyway, I don't remember where I finally found this
answer since it isn't mentioned in man xorg.conf: so
here, for a model, is the pertenant section of my
xorg.conf you can use as a model:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Option     "XkbLayout" "dvorak"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

I hope this helps.

======
Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all his works are truth, and his ways are justice; and he is able to bring low those who walk in pride.
Daniel 4:37