Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 13:14:34 -0800
From:      chip.wiegand@simrad.com
To:        dan@slightlystrange.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mouse is jerky

--=_alternative 0074B60288256B82_=

owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG wrote on 03/20/2002 08:08:25 AM:

> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 07:58:51AM -0800, chip.wiegand@simrad.com wrote:
> > I have two boxes on my desk, one is fbsd 4.5 and the other NT, and a
kvm
> > switch between
> > them. When I switch to fbsd the mouse is jerky and difficult to point
> > small specific areas,
> > I can't do image work at all because of this. In NT it is smooth.
> > Any ideas why and how I can fix this?
> >
> > --
> > Chip Wiegand
> > Computer Services
> > Simrad, Inc
> > www.simrad.com
> > chip.wiegand@simrad.com
> >
> > "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
> >      --Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment
> > Corporation, 1977
> >  (They why do I have 7? Somebody help me!)
>
> From memory, there are two mouse drivers for FreeBSD - one for the
console,
> and the other used by X.  If you have both running concurrently, you may
> see this sort of behaviour - if you plug your I/O stuff direct into the
BSD
> box, do you still get the same symptoms?  If so, try killing the console
> mouse driver (called moused, I think...)
>
> HTH
>
> Dan

Well, I grep'd ps and there is only 1 entry for the mouse - moused -3 -p
/dev
I then killed that process and of course lost the mouse cursor. You know
how
hard it is to navigate kde without a mouse? Ridiculous, it is.
Anyway, I did plug the mouse directory into the computer and it is still
quite
jerky. Doesn't matter which wm I use.

--
Chip W
--=_alternative 0074B60288256B82_=

&gt; On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 07:58:51AM -0800, chip.wiegand@simrad.com wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; I have two boxes on my desk, one is fbsd 4.5 and the other NT, and a kvm<br>
&gt; &gt; switch between<br>
&gt; &gt; them. When I switch to fbsd the mouse is jerky and difficult to point to<br>
&gt; &gt; small specific areas,<br>
&gt; &gt; I can't do image work at all because of this. In NT it is smooth.<br>
&gt; &gt; Any ideas why and how I can fix this?<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; --<br>
&gt; &gt; Chip Wiegand<br>
&gt; &gt; Computer Services<br>
&gt; &gt; Simrad, Inc<br>
&gt; &gt; www.simrad.com<br>
&gt; &gt; chip.wiegand@simrad.com<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; &quot;There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.&quot;<br>
&gt; &gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;--Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment<br>
&gt; &gt; Corporation, 1977<br>
&gt; &gt; &nbsp;(They why do I have 7? Somebody help me!)<br>
&gt; </font>
&gt; and the other used by X. &nbsp;If you have both running concurrently, you may<br>
&gt; see this sort of behaviour - if you plug your I/O stuff direct into the BSD<br>
&gt; box, do you still get the same symptoms? &nbsp;If so, try killing the console<br>
&gt; mouse driver (called moused, I think...)<br>
&gt; </font>
&gt; </font>
--=_alternative 0074B60288256B82_=--