Date:      Sat, 06 Feb 1999 06:12:40 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        "Marcel Mason" <mmason@nunanet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, gjb@alpha.comkey.com.au
Subject:   Re: logbook

> Is anyone up to providing a brief description of what a logbook should look
> like or how it should be organized [...]

It should look however you would like it to look and it should
be organized in a way that you find useful.  The only absolute
requirement is that it be on paper so that, when you are dealing
with a machine that has been totally trashed, your helpful notes
are still accessible.

The point is to come up with something that *you* will find
useful if you need to know later on what you did.  This means
that it should be easy for you to find the information when you
want it, and it should be easy for you to add to it when you
need to do that.  And, if other people might need the info, it
needs to be kept in a way that will be useful to them as well.

I personally use 6x4inch index cards, with a topic word at the
top of each card, and keep the cards in an alphabetically sorted
and indexed box.  If there is too much info for a single card
under one topic, it's easy to add a second or third card -- or
to re-write the cards more effectively in the light of later
experience.  And it means that, when something could be put
under more than one topic, I can put a card under each possible
topic which just says "see xxx".

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>