Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 00:22:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

On Sat, 9 Aug 1997, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> 	possible incindiary material..... ;)

hehe...  :-)

> 	i am here in the usa....and it does concern me.
> 	the social changes in decently educated people will make
> 	it harder to create the citizentry of hte next generation.
> 	not impossible, but harder....could lead to greater social
> 	balkanization...gated communities, decline of public
> 	schools and opt-out by those that can afford to do so

I suspect gated communities specifically are just a fad, but what
makes them seem appealing is not.  The increased "us" and "them"
separation is nothing but trouble.  :-(

> 	leaving an impoverished public life. (less funding for
> 	public libraries, schools, redirection of public funds
> 	to private or religious schools....these will not
> 	benefit the country as a whole.)

Hmm...  I'm not sure how it works in the US, but in this
particular province here, those going to a private or religious
school find themselves paying twice, once for the public system,
and then again for themselves.  Would a change to the tax system
so that those going to a separate system pay only the difference
twice seem reasonable to you?  (ie. if one normally had to pay 7$
to the public system, but one currently had children privately
educated, paying 10$, one would pay only the difference, 3$, to
the public system).

Incidentally, if you say "No, this is not reasonable; people
going to a private school have tons of money to spare, anyways",
I will be tempted to yell at you very loudly.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk