Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2018 18:32:11 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Which platform should I download for FreeBSD?

--eFACtPbuWlmqRWqTHiskDks6UWMHnacCt
From: Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>

--PKn1seE1VxCVd5tTMGR75s1uSTxnPtNTi

Am 09.09.18 um 18:13 schrieb Matthew Seaman:
> On 09/09/2018 14:20, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>> Jason Lindsey via freebsd-arch wrote on 2018/09/09 01:53:
>>> I hope you help me,
>>>
>>> I own a iMac 64, and do not know if I should download amd64 or arm64
>>> platforms to support FreeBSD.=A0 I would appreciate an answer to my
>>> question ASAP, in that I currently learning Solaris 10 and other
>>> versions of BSD software.=A0 I would like to include FreeBSD in my st=
udies.
>=20
> Solaris 10 is SysV, not BSD.  You have to go all the way back to SunOS
> 4.x for the last BSD variant from Sun.  A pedantic distinction I know,
> but it's what some of us live for.

To be really pedantic: The USL vs. BSDI lawsuit found, that Sys V.4
(or Solaris 5) contained more BSD than SysV code, and that the only
change was the removal of the BSD copyright text (which actually was
the only change *not* allowed by the copyrighgt clauses ...).

> So, unless the OP has a rather elderly machine, amd64 is the
> architecture you need.  There did use to be some PPC support in FreeBSD=
,
> but it never was a Tier-1 architecture, and I think it's basically
> unsupported if not gone entirely on up-to-date versions of the OS.

Yes, it's definitely amd64, but PPC support is being worked on and
alive as a tier-2 platform with support for both the 32 and 64 bit
variants:

	https://wiki.freebsd.org/powerpc

Regards, STefan