Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:48:10 -0500
From:      "Gerald A. Speak" <gaspeak@va.prestige.net>
To:        Marco Radzinschi <marco@radzinschi.com>, FreeBDS-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to share HP LaserJet III with Samba?

Hello,
Sorry if this may be off topic, but blieve it or not, Windows does in fact
support printing to Unix LPR. I'm not positive on how to install/add this
under windows 95/98 or NT4 but I do know that it is supported.  The windows
help files have instructions for how to add them, search for LPR.

In Windows 2000's Add/Remove Programs select Add Remove Windows Components,
make sure that there is a check in Other Netowrk File and Print Services and
select Next. You will be prompted for your Windows disk's at the appropriate
time.

Once you have completed the above steps go 'Control Pannel|Printers|Add New
Printer.
Check Local Printer, and hit next.  Windows will be unable to locate the new
printer. Select next when prompted.
Next you will have a Select Port Dialog displayed. Choose Create a new port,
type: Local Port.
Windows will ask you to enter a port name. It does not matter what you choose
for a port name here.
Next you will be asked for the Manufacturer and model of your printer, choose
the appropriate printer and hit next.
Pick a printer name and whether or not you want this printer to be default
and hit next.
Choose whether or not you want this printer shared (Next)
Do you want to print a test page?  (No) (Next)
Finish.
This should leave you with your printer control panel open with the new
printer visible, Right click on it and select properties.
Choose the Ports page/ and (Add Port)
Your avaliable choices should include LPR Port, select it and hit (new port).
You will be asked for a name or address of the server, enter either the
computer name or the IP Address of the FreeBSD machine.  You will also need
to enter the name of the print queue, and hit (OK) and then Close the Printer
Ports Window.  At this time you should see a check in front of the IP
address:queue that you previously entered.  Select (Apply) switch to the
General Tab and select Print Test Page.  You should get a test page printed.