Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 23:35:10 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        gnats-admin@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        dwcjr@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/33803: Samba doesn't use Cups libs if configured to do so

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 08:00:01PM -0800, gnats-admin@FreeBSD.org wrote:

>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=33803

NOTE: In order for cups printing to work with samba, without using the
cups-lpr programs, an extra configuration step must be taken.

Selecting "cups" printing by itself is not enough. The "printcap name"
must be set to "cups". This doesn't appear to be documented anywhere.
The "printcap name" is found on the "Advanced View" page in SWAT.

If the cups-lpr package/port is also installed, then printing will
work without this step, but queue management may not work as intended,
if some print commands are explicitly pointed to /usr/bin. But hey,
that's what happens now if you don't set up your print commands, so no
surprises there.

Although I didn't do it, I think a PORTREVISION++ is in order when
this is committed

I'll provide a similar patch for samba-devel. But not tonight.

--
Alan Eldridge
Pmmfmffmmfmp mmmpppppffmpmfpmpppff PmpMpmMpp ppfppp MpfpffmppmppMmpFmmMpm