Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:56:55 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Ranajit Ray <ranajitray2002@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about FreeBSD 4.6.1-RELEASE

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 04:40:37PM -0700, Ranajit Ray wrote:

> Now, 4.6.1-RELEASE isn't mentioned _anywhere_ on this
> page: <http://www.freebsd.org/releases/>. Is this a
> private build?

No, not quite.  There was going to be a 4.6.1 point release in reponse
to some nasty bugs in the new ATA-device driver code and the OpenSSH,
apache and bind holes all discovered within a few weeks of
4.6-RELEASE.  However, the release process had a few troubles and
ultimately 4.6.1 was canned in favour of 4.6.2-RELEASE.  That however
has since been superceded by 4.7-RELEASE, which is the latest.

> Also, this is running some old packages, like
> apache-1.3.24_7 (which seems to be actually v1.3.26),
> and OpenSSH_2.9.  But since apache has some open holes
> in versions prior to 1.3.27, would  patches for these
> have been backported to the 1.2.24_7 package (like how
> Debian backports Potato bugixes)? Or is there a place
> I can get updated packages for 4.6.1-RELEASE?

You can in principal use packages for any 4.x FreeBSD version on your
4.6.1 release machine.  (In practice, some recent packages won't work
on 4.1-era systems, but that shouldn't affect you.) All available
ports were rebuilt for the 4.7 release CD package sets, and any ports
updated since then will have a new package available on the ftp sites
within a week or so.  You can override pkg_add(1)'s default package
search path using the PACKAGESITE environment variable, eg:

    env PACKAGESITE=ftp://ftp.uk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.7-release/All/ pkg_add -r apache-1.3.27.tgz

However, in general most people would agree that rather than download
prebuild packages, best results are obtained using the ports system.
See Chapter 4 of the Handbook at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html
for a good introduction, and see the many messages on this list
singing the praises of portupgrade(1) which is a fantastically useful
tool for maintaining the ports installed on your system.

> Finally, would you say this system is ready of being
> connected to the public internet, or should it be
> upgraded to something newer?

I'd certainly update all of the ports/packages to the latest versions.
I'd also think hard about upgrading to the latest RELENG_4_7 branch
--- at the moment that's just about identical to 4.7-RELEASE as there
hasn't been sufficient time for any security patches to have
accumulated.  See these pages for an explanation of the different CVS
branches available, and how to obtain them:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/cvsup-advanced/article.html