Date:      Thu, 02 Apr 2009 11:49:16 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Arch <arch@freebsd.org>, Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>, Gordon Tetlow <gordon@tetlows.org>
Subject:   Re: On errno

Quoting Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> (from Thu, 02 Apr 2009 =20
06:51:56 +0000):

> In message <20090402084616.19846py8s75ogp44@webmail.leidinger.net>, =20
> Alexander Leidinger writes:
>
>> I agree with your general opinion about i18n and think that it is not
>> a matter of workforce, it's a matter of feasability. As soon as we
>> have the infrastructure, translations will show up "soonish". It's not
>> "if", it's "when".
>
> And once the novelty has worn off, we are left, as so many other
> operating systems, with at best 70% translation into each language.

If I adapt your reasoning to our docs, we need to delete all our =20
translations and only keep the english one.

If you are pissed off by the missing 30%, submit a patch or stick with =20
english. That's an adaption of what we tell to people when they =20
complain about missing stuff in unmaintained areas of src/ports. =20
Alternatively we can disconnect languages from the system if we think =20
there's not enough coverage. Above you also average the interest over =20
all languages, an generalization which doesn't hold, see below.

You assume we need to ship with 100% coverage in all languages. For a =20
person which only uses 40% of one specific language, and this 40% are =20
covered by 100%, it does not matter. If those 40% are a major part to =20
allow to earn a person an income to feed childs and the relative =20
other, great.

Note, people which set their LANG to something else already get only a =20
xx% translated system, e.g. KDE/GNOME are displaying a lot of stuff in =20
other languages, but stuff which is comming from FreeBSD itself is in =20
english, so we have the situation you describe already and users are =20
used to it (don't tell me this does not apply because we only program =20
an OS, it applies, as for an user it does not matter what we program, =20
_he_ is using a complete system consisting of an OS and other stuff, =20
not only the OS without anything else). They do their best, they enjoy =20
their native language where it is available and try to handle english =20
when it is not available.

At some point I expect that we have some strong languages, and some =20
not so strong languages. Which ones are which and how many languages =20
we would have... I assume the trends regarding this for the handbook =20
can give a hint.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
In California they don't throw their garbage away -- they make
it into television shows.
=09=09-- Woody Allen, "Annie Hall"

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137