Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 15:22:00 +0800
From:      Trent Nelson <nelsont@switch.aust.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        archie@dellroad.org
Subject:   VMware and netgraph -- hosting a Linux guest OS in FreeBSD.

        [ Archie, I've CC'd you 'cause your name continuously came up
          when I was trolling the 'net trying to figure this out. ]

    I'm running FreeBSD 4.3 and VMware 2.0.3 and I'm trying hopelessly
    to set up networking between the FreeBSD host and the Linux (RedHat
    6.2) guest OS.

    Instead of obfuscating the e-mail with all the various things I've
    tried (in terms of host/guest IP configurations) -- I'll just state
    what my situation is and what I'd like to do.

      - My FreeBSD box (freebsd06) is connected to my work LAN.  We use
        the 10.0.2/24 class.  My IP is 10.0.2.56 and our default gate-
        way is 10.0.2.1.

      - I'd like the Linux machine (linux06) to be visible on the LAN as
        10.0.2.116.

    The following snippets are from the configuration files I'm assuming
    are pertinent to getting this working.  Question marks represent
    values I'm not sure what to set to -- values that I've specified
    represent what I *think* to be the needed/correct value.

 On freebsd06:

 1. ~/vmware/linux/linux.cfg

        # Networking
        ethernet0.present = TRUE
        ethernet0.connectionType = hostOnly

        # Hints
        ethernet0.vnet = /dev/vmnet1

 2. /usr/local/etc/vmware/config

        vmnet1.HostOnlyAddress = ?
        vmnet1.HostOnlyNetMask = ?

 3. /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vmware.sh

        networking=1
        bridged=YES
        bridge_interface=fxp0

 On linux06:

 4. /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

            (This represents the configuration file for the AMD
             ``pcnet32'' NIC VMware provides the guest OS)

        DEVICE    = eth0
        BOOTPROTO = static
        IPADDR    = ?
        NETMASK   = ?
        GATEWAY   = ?
        HOSTNAME  = linux06.udt
        DOMAIN    = udt

    I've been lost up until now 'cause of FreeBSD's use of netgraph to
    do the bridging -- it makes it extremely hard to find any examples
    and tends to make all VMware related help quite misleading.

    Thanks in advance.

        Trent.