Date:      Sat, 21 Nov 1998 13:18:26 +0800 (GMT)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@public.bta.net.cn>
To:        syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: writev() to tcp

Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au> writes:
>On Tuesday, 17th November 1998, Michael Robinson wrote:
>>If someone sent a PR, would this get fixed?  (The Squid FAQ has a one-line
>>patch to uipc_socket.c.)
>
>That patch went into -current on 1998/07/06 but was removed on 1998/07/18
>because various and sundry things broke.  See revisions 1.41 and 1.42
>of sys/kern/uipc_socket.c.  There was some inconclusive discussion of
>the problem at the time, probably on freebsd-current.  My own personal
>experience of using this patch was also inconclusive.  Some things got
>better, but some things became worse and I didn't manage to prove that
>the patch was to blame, or that it was innocent.  Feel free to experiment!

I installed that patch into 2.2.7-RELEASE, and have been experiencing
exactly the problems that were discussed on freebsd-current in the
"State of current..." thread of the time.

So, it appears the patch is guilty as charged.

Which brings us back to where we started.  Squid and ORBit (at the very
least) exhibit severe performance degradation with the current
MLEN < write length < MINCLSIZE bug.  There isn't an open PR (that I can
find), and the Squid FAQ advocates a kernel patch that breaks X Windows
(among other things).

If someone who is familiar with the fundamental problem could explain it
to me in more detail, along with some possible solutions, I could try to
play with it.

Otherwise I'll just open a PR, and hope someone else eventually fixes it.

	-Michael Robinson