Date:      Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:24:22 +0100
From:      Pavel Duda <element@email.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPFW traffic shaping questions

Hello,
I have few questions for ipfw gurus..

1) can I see what packets are matching my pipes/queues ? I'm using "ipfw
pipe show" for example but there is always only one host so if I'm
testing some rules I can't tell if they work or not (maybe there is some
other way how to "trace" such things ?)

2) how to correctly setup ul/dl limits for clients ? I have 4096/256
line and I want primarily control upload because when someone starts
uploading too much line become unusable for low latency apps (games, ip
phone, audio broadcasting). I have created queues to limit upload, but
then also download was affected and slowdown was very big. I have tried
to add rule for ACK packets - no effect (I'm not network guru maybe this
is not enough for speeding up download).

Now I'm thinking that maybe I have wrong rules because as I remember
pipes and queues are managed diferently then other ipfw rules and even
when I put unlimited pipe for "ACK out" it is then limited by second
rule for "all out" - pipes/queues are not "first match wins" right ?

3) this is similar to 1) - is there some tool for monitoring how packet
"flows" through rules ? And I don't mean using "ipfw log" :-) ...

Any advice or web tutorial for network-lama (ie. me :-) ) appreciated.

Thanks & Happy New Year
Pavel D.