Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 11:15:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        acer@MNSi.Net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp help

Your Reply-To: line is SERIOUSLY broken!!  It says your email address is
@generation.net@MNSi.net.  This is the last message I'll reply to that has
this broken header.  If you want any more help after this you need to fix
it.

On Wed, 27 May 1998, acer wrote:

> Hi!
> Still having problems configuring my ppp on freeBSD v2.2.6 machine.
> I have followed the user ppp installation instructions from "The Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey.
>
> But when I run "ppp" I get the following:
>     Working in interactive mode.
>     Using interface: tun0
>     ppp ON freebie> "dial ISP"        (I type this)
>     Dial attempt 1 of 1
>     dial OK!
>     login OK!
>     ppp ON freebie> Packet mode
>     ppp ON freebie>
>     ppp ON freebie>
      ^^^
Hm, never gets a link.  Check that your authname/authkey are correct and
that pap is enabled.  You may want to enable lots of logging, then look at
/var/log/ppp.log to see where it's falling over.

> What I have also noticed, is that when I pick-up my telephone I get no
> modem connection sound.  But what is even more interesting is that when
> I disconnect my phone line from computer I get the same printout as
> above!  Maybe my modem is not working?

Quite possible, or your ISP is disconnecting you.