Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 10:49:51 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Kiril Mitev <kiril@ideaglobal.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recent kernel build failures - question

	This might sound like criticism, but I'm just grumpy this morning.

Kiril Mitev wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Have all the problems wrt cvsupp-ed kernel builds been sorted out then ?
> Or should 'to be upgraded' boxes hold back for a couple more days ?

	You should never cvsup new sources then just build a kernel. Changes
between kernel interfaces and userland code can render your system
unusable. Also, if your freebsd machines are mission critical you should
have at least one spare machine with as close to an identical configuration
as possible and use it for a test build before going ahead with the
upgrades (or better yet, build once, install many times via NFS). That way
you can be sure that the most recent sources will work for _you_, which is
always your best bet anyway.

Good luck,

Doug