Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 23:42:39 -0700
From:      "Raymundo M. Vega" <RaymundoVega@home.com>
To:        Jake Ott <jott@frii.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NAT/gated over 2 netcards

Jake Ott wrote:

> I'm attempting something I thought to be fairly simple.  2 net cards, 1
> outside ethernet, 1 internal (10.x.x.x) net.  IS this to much to ask?
>
> I know some sort of ip masquarading (sp) is needed here, but i really have
> no diea where to start.  Any help would be appreaciated.

you will have to run natd, in order to do this, you have to
build a custom kernel with:
options IPFIREWALL
options IPDIVERT

make sure you have enabled your computer as gateway
(in /etc/defaults/rc.conf)

make sure that in /etc/services there is a line like:
natd	8668/divert

edit /etc/rc.firewall or if you are not interested in a firewall,
change the name of the file and create a new one with

/sbin/ipfw -f flush
/sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via ed0
/sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any

here i suppose ed0 is the "outer" nic, change if this is not true

if you use bourne shell and you are using the small rc.firewall:
sh /etc/rc.firewall

now run natd:
/usr/sbin/natd -n ed0

again i assume ed0 is the outer nic