Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 11:45:01 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Steve Hearn <steveh@cetus.digicon-brs.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, Subject.@janus.cat.csiro.au, "install"@cetus.digicon-brs.com.au;
Subject:   Re:

Steve Hearn wrote:

> I'm having trouble detecting my Adaptec 2940 UW PCI controller.
> I believe the ahc0 is the appropriate device.
>
> But I can't see that particular device (ahc0) anywhere in the list
> as the machine boots.
>
> 1. Does anyone know at what point in the 'list' it should be:
>    Should it be towards the end, following 'Probing for devices on PCI
>    bus'?
>
> 2. Is it possible that that particular device isn't included in the
>    generic kernel, and that I have to build a special kernel?
>
> Steve Hearn
> Exploration Geophysics Laboratory
> University of Queensland
> Brisbane
> Australia
>
> Email:  steveh@cetus.digicon-brs.com.au

It should be automaticaly deteced. However, the probe seems to be
effected by other probes. Try booting -c and disable *all* the devices
you don't have (I think aha0 is what causes this specific problem). It
should then be detected. Also check if your card is of the -A variant.
The -A variants are only supported by 2.1.6R and higher. If you use
2.1.5R an -A card will not be recognized.

Nadav